Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

May 21, 2009

Pearly Whites

A few weeks ago Corey and I took Nakiah to the ER for the very first time. She had been a bit warm for a couple of days but nothing that made me worry. The third night of being a bit warm, Nakiah really started feeling hot and started acting like she didn't feel good, which is soooo not like her. She wouldn't eat and didn't want to drink much of anything. I did my best to make sure that she drank plenty of fluids and gave her some Tylenol before bed. She woke up around 11pm and was burning up. I could feel her little body trembling as she sat in my lap. I tried a cool rag, which she hated. I tried to take her clothes off, which made her cry. I offered her a bath, which she refused. I could barely get her take more medicine and she didn't even want a bottle. I had to make Corey stop on his way home form work to pick up a new thermometer because the one we had kept reading my temp at 94.5, so I knew it wasn't working on Nakiah. By the time Corey got home, I was pretty stressed and worried. Nakiah has never really been sick before and I hated seeing her like that. Once we got the thermometer working and was able to take an actual temperature we found that Nakiah's temp was 102.7. I told Corey maybe I was being the mom that worried too much, but the Tylenol wasn't working to bring the temp down and at one point Nakiah had grabbed her groin area and told me "owie" which instantly made me think bladder infection. After an extremely long night at the ER, and holding my baby down as two nurses inserted a catheter into her only to find out that her urine showed no signs of an infection, we were sent home with a bottle of Children's Motrin. Sometime that night, as Nakiah lay next to me in my bed and poor Corey slept on the couch, Nakiah's fever broke. The next couple of days as Nakiah got her energy back, her appetite did little improving. I really wanted her to start eating normally to ease my mind until I noticed two new pearly whites in the very back of Nakiah's mouth. She got her two bottom molars in two days!! I initially thought the fever may have been related to teeth, but she never had fevers with any of her other teeth and she hadn't been complaining at all about her mouth. I guess I should have listed to my first instinct....
When I ask to see her pretty teeth, she opens her mouth really wide....and then shoves her hand in there to point them out to me.

0 comments: